I love lists. Especially literary lists. J.D. Salinger’s Franny and Zooey, which I have read an uncountable number of times, has a three page list of everything that is crammed into a family’s medicine cabinet. It’s heavenly to read, telling a whole story in itself.
So, I was delighted yesterday when Nora presented me with an “emergency kit” she had made for me. The cellophane baggy that was thrust upon me, and which I carried with me throughout my day, contained the following:
- a miniature rainbow slinky
- a green patent leather coin purse with silver embossed stars containing $1.18 in change
- a yarn label (Noro Kureyon, for you nosy knitters out there)
- a deck of UNO cards
- a purple felt gnome which Nora had sewn herself
- a hot pink LED flashlight
- a 20-inch length of purple organza ribbon
- two pink balloons, un-inflated
- a business card for the Button Emporium
- 3 scarlet runner beans saved from this year’s garden, and
- a stubby red colored pencil
Clearly, I am now prepared for almost anything that could befall me.
If you enjoyed this article, get email updates (it’s free)